Do you have a Newfoundland dog but are confused about what to name him? Don’t worry; you’re in the right place as this article has listed more than 200 Newfoundland dog names for naming male and female puppies.
Are you looking to adopt a Newfie soon, or have you recently brought one into your family? Whatever the case may be, keep reading as the article aims to provide you with the best Newfoundland names you will love.
The Newfoundland dog is a favored pet for its intelligence, gentle demeanor, loyalty; It is also a hero in history and a working dog. They are also known as “newfs” or “newfies”.
On October 5, 1972, Newfoundland was made the official animal emblem by Newfoundland, Canada.
Newfoundlands are lovable, soft and big dogs of immense Strength. They also require more space and a different level of care to stay happy and healthy.
This dog breed originated in Newfoundland due to importation by fishers from Europe. The Newfoundland helped fishers bring in chopped wood from the forest and pull nets.
They have swimming abilities as their coat is water-resistant, and their feet are webbed, making them outstanding swimmers.
The Newfoundland dogs have double layer coats that aid them in sustaining harsh weather and swimming.
The Newfoundland dog measures 25 to 30 inches at the withers, with the bitch 2 inches less and weighing up to 150 pounds.
There are 3 main recognized colors of the Newfoundland dogs: Bronze, Black and Black/White (Landseer).
They are family dogs and should be treated as a full household member and not chained or relegated to the back yard.
In fact, they were bred to be a constant assistant and companion to humans, especially in coastal and fishing communities.
|Origin||Island of Newfoundland , Canada|
Dogs: 71 cm (28 inches)
Bitches: 66 cm (26 inches)
Dogs: 65 to 80 kg (143 to 176 pounds)
Bitches: 55 to 65 kg (121 to143 pounds)
|Coat||Thick and straight|
|Litter Size||3 to 12 pups|
|Color||Black, Brown (not in Canada standard), White with black patches (Landseer)
Grey (only in USA standard)
|Temperament||Gentle, Sweet-tempered and Trainable|
|Life span||8 to 12 years|
Dogs are a popular pet choice in North America, and there are many different breeds of dogs to choose from. If you’re looking for a new dog and want one that is unique, consider a Newfoundland dog.
These big and friendly dogs make great pets, and they have names that reflect their personality and appearance. Here are some of the best Newfoundland dog names for you to consider!
Famous Newfoundland Dog Names
Did you know that these dog breeds are actually famous? They are well known worldwide and not just in their homeland of Newfoundland, Canada. If you wish to name your new companion after a famous name, explore our list of famous Newfoundland dog names below.
- Nana – Nana is a female Newfoundland dog that is loyal to the darling family in Peter Pan
- Josh – Josh was the 2nd Newfoundland to win the Westminister Kennel Club dog show.
- Carlo – Carlo is the only pet of reclusive poet Emily Dickinson and was a brown Newfoundland.
- Faithful – Jesse, the youngest son of Ulysses S. Grant, own Faithful.
- Hairy Man
Male Newfoundland Dog Names
Is your new companion a male? Brainstorming for name ideas for your new friend can be difficult. So, to make your search easy, we have listed some of the best male Newfoundland names you can get inspiration from and use.
- Titan – Inspired by a Greek Mythological giant
- Yukon – A territory in Canada
- Hunter – Ideal for naming a male Newfoundland because they are known to assist fishermen in hunting fishes
- Gaza – Biblical name that means Strength and strong
- Wayne – A name inspired by a famous Canadian hockey player Gretzky Wayne
- Raja – A name that means King in India
- Bolivar – A Spanish meaning of one who lives by waterside or riverside.
- Phelps – An American professional swimmer who won a Gold medal in Olympics.
Other male Newfoundland names are:
Female Newfoundland Dog Names
Did you adopt a female Newfoundland dog and need a perfect name for her? Check the name ideas below for naming your beautiful female dog.
- Ella – A Greek name which Means Torch
- Oreo – is a good name for naming a black and white Newfoundland dog.
- Freya – Norse name which means a noblewoman
- Matilde – A German name that means Powerful battler
- Blithe – A good name for cheerful female dogs
- Romy – A Latin meaning of Dew of the sea
- Quinlan – A Gaelic meaning of Graceful, strong
- Aili – Female Newfoundlands are sweet creatures. So, naming your pet Aili, which means sweet in German, won’t be wrong.
Other female Newfoundland names are:
Good Names for Newfoundland Dogs
Are you looking for good Newfoundland dog names? Here is a list of good Newfoundland names you can get ideas from when naming your pet.
- Lillie Bell
Unique Newfoundland Names for Dogs
Conclusion – Newfoundland Names
We hope you love our article. If you find this article helpful, please kindly share it with your friends and family